Sunday, September 11, 2011

What's in a name?

I am welcoming myself to the world of blogging.  It is something I have wanted to do for a few years, but just never got 'around to it'.  So why now?  Well, that can be best answered by saying that I have recently decided to take my writing more seriously.  I am in the process of exploring the 'right' avenue for it so this seemed like a logical next step.  And thanks to a friend of mine who also has an interest in writing and who shared her blog with me, I decided to take the plunge. 

So what's in a name?  Having the right name can make all the difference in the world--in some circles, anyway.  It can lead to your being accepted or rejected by the 'in' crowd.  Whatever kind of first impression you leave on people you meet can also label you with a 'name'--either good or bad.  I have been on the receiving end of some harsh name-calling as a child that definitely left me hating my name.  Unfortunately those verbal wounds took a long time to heal. 

Now I love my name.  It is a beautiful part of my identity.  I know there is no one like me.  I know that God uniquely and divinely created me--He knit me together in my mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13) 

So when it came to naming my blog, I wanted a name that would serve as a unique marker for this season of my journey.  Lots of names came to mind.  But it seems that I'm not the only person coming up with 'clever' names for their blog: Thinking Out Loud, Illuminate, Light the Way, A Changed Life, A Life Transformed and other similar iterations were all taken.

When I think of the events of the last year, one of the many thoughts I have is how God has been 'making me bold'.  He has been my guiding light through thick and thin.  He has nudged me each step of the way--out of my comfort zone and stretching me to do some very bold things.  In light of all that He has done for me and in me, I can't help but acknowledge that in the name of my blog.  For without His Presence in my life, none of these things would be possible.  (Phil. 4:13)

I am forever grateful that He is Making Me Bold.   

No comments:

Post a Comment